Chocolate Hazelnut Loaf Cake

I found hazelnuts on offer in my local deli, so decided to use them in a loaf cake. I love loaf cakes as they seem to keep longer than other cakes, and are so easy to cut.

For this one you need:


120g hazelnuts, 60g soft butter, 70g light brown sugar, 1 tspn vanilla extract, 1 egg, 225g flour and 2 tspn baking powder, 1/2 tspn cinnamon, pinch of salt, 80g of dark chocolate, chopped, 80ml Nutella or similar spread and 250ml of buttermilk


Preheat oven 180C                    Grease and base line a 900g loaf tin


Spread hazelnuts over a baking tray and put in oven for 8-10 mins till golden. Put into a clean tea towel to rub off skins. Chop roughly.

Beat the butter, sugar and vanilla together with an electric mixer till light and creamy. Add the egg and buttermilk and beat again.

Sift the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt together then add to the batter. Fold in, then add the chocolate and 80g of the chopped hazelnuts. Mix well.


Put half of the mixture into the loaf tin then spread over the Nutella. Cover with the rest of the mixture and sprinkle the rest of the nuts over the top.


Bake for about 40 mins till golden. leave in the tin to cool for 10 mins then turn onto a rack.





Sorry, not a very good photo. The loaf has a good texture, with a soft crumb. Nice contrast between the nuts, chocolate and the soft cake. I'll certainly make it again, but will halve recipe and make it in my smaller loaf tin. This will be great for a few days with my afternoon cuppa!

PS Odd, but on my screen the post is all in the same font, but online it's not. Weird!

Comments

Hazelnuts are a wonderful thing and adding them to cakes is a very good thing indeed. (Getting the skins off is not quite as enjoyable, but that's life). Sounds like a fine addition to a cup of tea. I think fonts can have a mind of their own.
Snowy, this looks lovely. I enjoy loaf cakes as well, and hazelnuts are a treat. Not crazy about chocolate, so I'd leave that out. I'd definitely make this in two smaller tins rather than the large one. I like small slices of things for afternoon tea.
PS I've had that font problem before. Sometimes you can go back to it another day and fix it. No idea why that is. Maybe hit the "remove formatting" button and reselect font and font size?

Popular posts from this blog

Lemon Coconut Slices

My favourite Plum Tart

Galette des Rois with Chocolate and Hazelnuts